Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Lunch with Sis. Spring Break seemed to come at just the right time, as I was feeling tired and a bit burnt out, despite loving my job. My first day off was spent idling around downtown Austin, walking around and visiting a coffee shop, talking to locals and SXSW visitors alike. I’m going to sound like a total dweeb, but I felt like such the cool gal, as I had so many tourists ask for directions along my leisurely route. Ha! I finally felt like a true Austinite, four years later. I met my sister for lunch at one of our favorite restaurants downtown, and we shared our mutual favorite (and ironic) meal of choice: truffle fries, a salad, and bubbly.
2. Game Night. Monday night, of my coworkers often holds game nights where we play Cards Against Humanity, drink, and laugh around a large table on their patio. He and his wife are always great hosts and treat us better than we deserve as we take over their house for a night. They made bean dip, queso, and burgers, and we gratefully stuffed our faces. It was fun to bring my bf this time, so he could witness and indulge in the festivities.
3. Bday & Ritas. Tuesday, it was nice to meet up with a few gals for a friend’s bday, grub, toss back a couple of margaritas, and talk girl talk for a bit.
4. Spring Shopping. My roommate and I went on a spontaneous shopping excursion Tuesday. I typically don’t enjoy shopping, and haven’t done so in a while, as I’m a poor teacher but it was fun spending time with the roommie on our spring break, saving each other from terrible shopping decisions and trying on clothes we couldn’t afford.
5. Austin Rodeo. “This IS my first rodeo” became my favorite cheeky phrase this past Thursday. My bf loves the rodeo, as that is where his parents first met, and he grew up around them, so he was excited to finally take me to one and one that had one of his favorite bands playing to boot after the roping and rides. It just so happened that a friend of mine and her guy were there as well, so it was fun to meet up and enjoy it together. My bf leaned over and told me a love song was from him to me, and I felt grateful, as I always do, to be opened up to a world different from one I grew up around or have ever experienced for that matter, and I got to experience it with someone I care about. After the lack of good food at the rodeo, we dorked it out and took fast-food honey biscuits back to my place and grubbed out to a movie like two happy fat kids.
6. Make New Friends and Keep the Others. Is it that dorky that I immediately think about the old girl-scout song my fellow daisies and I use to sing in the aforementioned bullet title? Ha! Well, I can’t help it. It’s always eye-opening when something happens where you need true friends to come forward. To know I have friends in unexpected places, people from my past and new friends I’ve met through people in my present, is extremely comforting. I feel so lucky to have the people in my life that I have. I’ve truly always felt like everything happens for a reason, and the validation I have from the friends that are there for me brings it to the forefront of my mind when I need that reminder. I am so thankful and warmed by that.
7. Sister Rescue. My sister knew that Sunday morning, I needed a huge pick-me-up, and she came to the rescue in true sister fashion. She brought me a smoothie, tea, and water and went on a long walk with me in the sunshine. She’s a true gem in my life, and I’m so lucky to have a twin sis that is so good at bringing me back to life. Love you, “piss”!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!