Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Ad Shift. While it’s possible this shift has more to do with smart marketers knowing their market, and less about being “the nice guy,” it’s a pleasant day when it seems objectification loses and inclusivity wins. Read about it here.
2. Accidents Happen. I got in a fender bender this week that shook all calm out of me, and I unleashed a scream I didn’t know was buried in this small-framed body. Oops. However, I’m so grateful for my well-made vehicle, and for nice men who have a momentary lapse in judgement. I couldn’t have been hit by a nicer man. He was seventy-years old and had never been in an accident before, poor guy! He was super sweet, and even called me later to check on me, to apologize again (for the 100th time), and let me know his insurance is taking care of everything. Accidents happen, and I only came out of it with a few sore muscles, and a realization that the universe if full of good people, and we are all so interconnected — a reminder to always be kind.
3. SuperMan. My boyfriend had a couple days off before leaving town last week. Did he relax and take it easy, even though he’d be plenty deserving of it? Nope. While I was at work, he sanded down my coffee table and a filing cabinet to prep for paint, went grocery shopping to fill my fridge, created a website for our new business, and made me dinner before I got home. I didn’t ask him to do any of this. I’m keeping him — and not because he did things for me, but because he is thoughtful and knows what it takes to share in responsibilities, to every once in a while go above and beyond for someone he loves, and to show his love in his actions. I love you, Patrick!
4. Finding Yogi. This past summer, I fell in love with yoga, but of course… the school year took over, and it started to drain my pockets. Well, thanks for my sweet brother, I was able to regain that love through the help of his well-researched yoga DVDs that he gave me for Christmas. They are perfect, and they helped me get back into the much-needed routine of practicing mindfulness, giving my body a treat each day, and shaking off the vibrations from the daily grind.
5. Oh, Baby. Friday night, my coworkers and I said goodbye (for now) to one of our favorite people before she has her first baby. We had a baby shower for her at a coworker’s house near our school, and enjoyed her potty-mouth and big-heart for a few more hours before she leaves us for a few months. We can’t wait to see you as a mother, and we can’t wait to have you back!
6. Welcome Home… Again! Thankfully, Patrick had only one more trip this year (well, until three more months!), so it was nice to greet him when he returned Sunday night, knowing that he isn’t turning around and leaving any time soon. We enjoyed a nice dinner at a Tai restaurant and enjoyed our own kind of “Super Bowl” (see above).
7. Gaga. I was probably one of maybe a handful of people who was not positioned in front of a television Sunday night to watch the Super Bowl (or in the stadium). In an age when anyone can pull up the half-time show on the Internet the very next day (American football isn’t my cup of tea; I’ve tried so hard!), I decided to spend time with my guy who just returned from NYC and watch the half-time show later. After watching it, I have to agree with most people who are now completely Gaga for Gaga. Gosh, she’s great — the vocals, the athleticism, the ways she politicizes through her art without polarizing – gah! I kind of got teary, and I didn’t need to hide it. Thank you, Gaga! Also, watch her press conference. She is so kind, gracious, smart, and it’s clear her message of inclusivity is genuine. Read this, too!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!