Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Thank you, Meryl. Listen, never forget, and keep making art. Don’t keep quiet just because someone else wants you to.
I grew up as a dancer, but I added acting to the mix in high school and kept both in my life until I was around twenty-six. Then I moved to writing my last two years of college, with some encouraging nudges from a theatre professor. I hate to admit it, but there was a time in my life that I became disillusioned into thinking art was no longer important, (long story short), after a series of unfortunate experiences that had nothing to do with creating art. I think it’s possible I also convinced myself because it had taken a backseat in my life. It gave way to building a more secure job in teaching and putting too much stock into relationships with people who took little to no interest in my adoration for the arts, whether it was dancing, acting, singing, or writing. That’s one of the many reasons I am so thankful to have someone in my life now that not only is actively chasing so many of his dreams in the arts, but he is also actively pushing me. It’s something that has almost been too painful to approach again because I’ve been so angry with myself for neglecting that side of myself for so long. However, if there is one thing I’ve learned over the years (and one thing he’s so elegantly reminded me of) is that it is never too late to embrace the things you are passionate about.
Oh, and also, bullies suck. Power to those who have the courage to stand up to them no matter their politics!
2. La La La. I didn’t watch The Golden Globes this year, but after I heard that LaLa Land deservedly won so many awards last night, I was inspired to listen to the soundtrack. I’m absolutely bonkers about the movie, and it instantly brought me back to my big dreamer days in high school and college when I wanted so desperately to live in a utopian world where everyone broke out into song and dance at any given moment and it wasn’t weird… or it was, and nobody cared. In fact, I’ve been listening to it as I’m typing, and all I want to do is get up and dance (okay, I did, but now I’m back).
3. Missing. I know, you’ve heard this all before, but it’s true. I’m full of “missing hims.” My guy has been away for a week, and he is gone for one more, and I am missing him something ridiculous. Long phone calls have saved me when he travels, and I absolutely love that during his stop in Dallas today, he is having dinner with my brother. The fact that he is taking so much interest in my family and not just me means the world to me. THEY mean the world to me, and he gets that. He’s a good one, this one.
4. Web-Shop. In these long phone conversations, some of the things he and I have discusd are involving his plans to create a web-shop for his brilliant woodworking. He’s one of those people who can genuinely pick up anything and say to himself, “Oh, I can do that.” (Well, he wouldn’t admit to it, but it’s true). If he doesn’t know how to do it, he easily says, “I’m going to teach myself how to do that.” And he does. I can’t be envious because I admire him so much. He’s a genius! Which is why I’m super stoked that I’ve finally convinced him (though I’m not the only one), to tap into those talents more and share them with the world. SO… he’s going to make more of what he makes for himself and his loved ones, and he is going to make his beautiful objects available to the public (first in a web-shop). He already makes spoons, trays, bowls, tables, wooden hair pins, yoga platforms, instruments for his friends in bands (and now his own music ventures) — these are just a few of the things. Just kidding, I haven’t mentioned he also sews and has been featured in a major furniture upholstery book. I’m always shocked when I find out that something I’ve seen day-to-day at his house is something he actually made. It’s insane. Okay, I’ll stop gushing now, but I promise to update soon! In the pic above, these are the Christmas gifts he made me (so in love) — with the objects, too!
5. New Hairs. Most of the time, I am terrible with changes. Of course, at work, I’m professional enough to keep my guts (who are jumping up and down screaming, ‘no changes, please, we can’t handle it!!’), from doing the talking; they lose all their inhibitions when they get home. No holds barred. However, my hairs are no strangers to change. It’s the one thing I can always handle — more than handle. It gets me all excited. Okay, now I’m just realizing maybe the fact that I am more comfortable when my hair is constantly changing is more of a constant in my life and less of a sign that I’m open to changes… Nah, I’m gonna go with it still. I went back to my genius hair artist, and she gave me some tigers-eye balayage highlights. Plus, I got to see my cute twin-sis for a bit who stopped in to invade my hair appointment.
6. Health Nut. Emphasis on “nut.” When I get serious about my health, I tend to go a little nutty — I’ll admit. My problem is, I have trouble not obsessing one way or the other. Either I’m all in, or I’m all out — stuffing all the chocolates into this face. But it feels much better on this side of the spectrum, and that’s where I want to stay — without the obsessing. My hope is that, this time, without the emphasis on “nut” that the changes will be much more long-term and I won’t get brunt out on nothing but kale and two-a-days. Eek!
7. Biggest Loser. Speaking of nutty, I not completely in the clear. Just when I was ready to make some changes (I know, it’s the new year, I’m such cliché), my school nurse announced that she is starting the Biggest Loser competition at my work, and guess who is jumping on the bandwagon!? This all-the-chocolates-in-the-face-gal. Gimme some money!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!