Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Reminder. Sometimes reminders come in surprising ways. After a stressful week of prepping for my evaluation, preparing for a presentation in February, etc., etc., I perhaps needed the reassurance just as much as the student I gave it to. I’ll keep the details between us, but a student and I had a heart to heart about a serious issue involving a boy, and at the end of it, she reached out and gave me a hug. I can’t describe how happy that made me, to know (or hope) I somehow made a difference. Sometimes I see a lot of myself in my students, and I always wish I had a teacher to guide me at school in a way that didn’t see me as just a report card. It reminded me that my job is so much bigger than evaluations, presentations, and paperwork, and it brought me back to feeling more grounded and balanced than before.
2. New Album. My boyfriend and one of the bands he plays in just released a new EP this past week. The second song on it was written and played (all instruments) by him, and it’s stunning! Check it out on Spotify or iTunes. He reminds me constantly, that in a time that feels dark in our country, creating art that brings light is so important.
3. Fish Tacos + Tequila. My boyfriend and I made fish tacos from a recipe he found at Food52 for a dinner with his cousin Saturday night. As a marketing professional, she joined us to chat business and hash out a logo. She did such a wonderful job, and we are super excited moving forward with this project. I can’t wait to share more!
4. Early Valentine. I’m the worst at waiting to give presents I’m excited about, so when packages hit my doorstep, I immediately asked Patrick if he wanted to exchange Valentine’s Day presents with me. Of course, he said yes, being the eager gift-giver he is himself. I gave him a nice yoga mat, copper tumblers, bitters, and a book called The Drunken Botanist, and I’m the proud new owner of a KitchenAid extension to spiral veggies! I’m such an adult. Of course, he’s not as bad as me, and he is waiting until at least February to give me the rest.
5. Pasta! I’m trying to eat healthy, but Friday has been my cheat day, so I made homemade crock-pot meat sauce to bring to my coworkers with some pasta, garlic bread, and ice-cream. Then, I took the remainder of the sauce home and made my man a savory lasagna. How’s that for cheating?
6. Sunday Stroll. One of my favorite things to do to unwind is take a long walk on a sunny day. My boyfriend and I started a new Sunday tradition of taking a walk to a food truck court, ordering juices for a rest on the swings, and then walking back to his place.
7. Dad’s Birthday. Although of course I wish I could be with him instead, my dad is celebrating his birthday tonight in Dallas, Texas. He has almost exactly one more year until he is able to retire and move out here to Austin, and I’m stoked!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!