Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Mid-week Escapes. I’ve been taking advantage of the fact that my boyfriend has been in town for a longer stretch of time than he has been in the months we’ve dated, and it has been exciting for me to be able to spend multiple days with him in the middle of the week without him having to take off for a work trip or go on tour. It put my mind at ease during a busy week, knowing that at the end of it, I’d have a smiling face and open arms greeting me at the end of the day. Bonus: He cooked for me each night. Le sigh.
2. Career Day. Even though he was nervous to step outside his comfort zone, my boyfriend knocked career day out of the park. His career entails several things, so naturally, he wanted to piece each of these things together for a more cohesive presentation. He is both a musician, a craftsman, and an artist, so he encompassed all these things by introducing himself as a storyteller. My students loved this concept, and as their teacher, I loved the fact that Language Arts suddenly became more relevant to my musicians and artists. ;). My students wrote him letters at the end of the day, and without any convincing on my part (promise!), most of them decided to write to him as their favorite presenter. Their favorite parts were the interactive parts, where he asked some students and I to take part in an impromptu jam session with his made instruments. They also enjoyed, of course, the music he played for students as they entered the classroom and the message he gave them about music as a means to express oneself and to connect to others. I couldn’t have been prouder of how well he did and how much he inspired those kiddos!
3. Rainy Saturday. Not much beats a rainy Saturday with time to sleep in. I was looking forward to getting together with a couple of my boyfriend’s friends that we haven’t seen in a while for dinner, but I can’t say it wasn’t nice to stay in instead, as one of them cancelled the last minute. Rainy days are meant for staying in, staying snug, and watching a good film.
4. Oh, Christmas Tree! The boyfriend and I bought our first Christmas tree together this past Saturday. We threw on our rain jackets and braved the cold rain to pick up a tiny, crooked living Christmas tree (I told him I’m a fan of the underdog – thus, the wonky tree was ours!). I don’t pride myself on being very crafty, as I’ve always taken a backseat to my talented mother and sister, so I’m thankful that he brings this out of me and tries to show me that indeed, I can do these things after all. I’m getting there! Ha! He helped me make ornaments and made some beautiful ones of his own, while we sipped on whiskey and listened to Christmas tunes. Bliss.
5. Burgers and Nina Simone. Saturday night, after the friends cancelled dinner plans last minute, the boyfriend and I grabbed a couple of burgers and vegged out while watching “What Happened, Miss Simone?” I’ve always been a fan of Miss Simone, and I know I’m a little late to the party, but OH MY GAWD, go watch this documentary. It’s beautifully made, and it paints a picture of her that is dynamic instead of flat, not to mention, it will make you appreciate her immense giftedness that much more.
6. Rainy Sunday. Earlier, when I said not much beats a rainy Saturday — I lied a little. There’s always a rainy Sunday. Sundays are for savoring and slowing down, and rain makes one feel less guilty about that. 😉
7. And That’s a Wrap! Sunday, I finished wrapping all the Christmas presents to my family, and tucked them away under the tree. Feels good to have one more thing checked off the list — especially when my family jokes with me that I’m the world’s worst present wrapper – ha! I did it, though! Phew!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!