Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Basketball and BBQ. The boyfran and I watched the March Madness final game on Monday while stuffing our faces with BBQ at a downtown spot. I’m not normally a college basketball fan, but that game was riveting! I love a good “plot twist.”
2. Do Your Dream. My students are currently working on my favorite project of the year where they research a dream they want to have accomplished in six months to a year. I love watching my students get excited about coming to class to research something they may have previously only dreamed about only to realize it’s something within their grasp if they just take a little action.
3. Thursday Scandal. The roommate and I enjoyed our semi-regular weekly girls’ night where we typically drink wine, watch The Real Housewives and Scandal and laugh at our own reactions. We are both guilty of talking to the stars as though they can hear us, dropping our jaws for long periods of time, and screaming. In fact, we keep saying we need to set up a camera to record ourselves watching it because it’s probably fairly entertaining. Ha!
4. “Good Teaching” Day. Rarely do I feel like I have these days, so when I do, I try to give myself a little pat on the back to keep myself going. I love my job, but of course sometimes it can feel thankless and stressful, so it is important to me to give myself a pep talk every now and then without being shy about it. I had a day this week where I shared stories about my struggles as a reader, my personal journey, and how I overcame it, and I could tell my students truly bought into the reading strategies I taught them that day because I connected it with something personal, and I am so grateful I did. I sometimes forget not to underestimate that students need those connections to find value in their learning and when that value is there, the learning is relevant and sustainable.
5. Tex-Mex Friday. The boyfran took me out to dinner Friday night, and we shared fajitas, drank margs, and laughed like total loons. You know those days when you just really needed to laugh and that laughter feels that much better? It was one of those days, and thank God he knows the way to those guttural giggles.
6. Nerd Squad. I secretly (and of course endearingly) called my group of students this weekend, that participated in an academic competition, my nerd squad. I always feel like such a “proud mama” at these events because not only are they talented, but they are model competitors as they are kind to the other schools and showed great class and sportsmanship. They made me so proud. Two of them placed, though I won’t know their placement until later this week. 🙂
7. Chinese Food and a Movie. I took Chinese food, wine, and a movie over to my boyfriend’s condo Sunday evening, and we enjoyed a night in before the long work week ahead of us. Perfect way to close the week – relaxed and spent with a dude that makes me smile.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!