Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. “STAAR Party” HH. If you don’t live in Texas, then you may not understand the stress of the 7th grade state testing in Language Arts, as students test this year in both reading and writing — or you do, as you live in one of the many states that does the same, just under a different label. Chances are, you have an inkling for just how stressful this test is on both the students and their teachers, and needless to say, we needed a Tuesday HH like no other… Friday. It satiated our needs, for the time being. 🙂
2. Farewell. My boyfriend and I planned on spending Wednesday together, as Thursday is his regular night for soccer practice and we were both leaving town for different reasons this weekend. We watched The Big Short, and man did that a movie fire me up! It’s not that I didn’t know what happened, but it didn’t make it any less painful to watch. It was just that it was hard to watch people from the big banks, the corporate world, and Wall Street act so terribly — it was actually more so that I feel like what happened was so terrible, but also that I dislike it when movies dehumanize people (even on the wrong end of things) and paint them as pure evil. It was a great movie — wonderfully acted, but I think politics needs to be painted with softer brush, if that makes any sense. I say this all the time, and I risk making people gag, but I was so grateful to see more sides to my boyfriend that night, as he came across not only as a person of comfort when I got all riled up by the movie, but he didn’t diminish what I was feeling. Instead, he humored this sensitive gal and helped me to understand things on a deeper level — which is all I ever want. I absolutely hate not understanding where people are coming from and why people do what they do, especially when it seems to be coming from a bad place. I’ve always been this way, and he got that without questioning my sanity. Ha! Isn’t there a saying something like, “We’re all a little crazy; we just need to find someone to match our brand of crazy?” Le sigh.
3. Unexpected Farewell Part Deux. After oversleeping on his nap, my boyfriend missed the first couple minutes of his soccer practice and invited me over instead. I was happy to see him again when I thought I wouldn’t see him again until next week. This time we watched a scary movie, “The Visit,” and it was surprisingly good after not seeing anything good from M. Night Shymalan in a while. It seems the older I get, the more of a wimp I am when it comes to scary movies, which is why it’s way more fun to watch them next to a man with good arms. Ha!
4. Friday HH. After a long week of state testing and rallying the students back to their regular routine, this HH with a couple of coworkers was another much-needed escape.
5. Gal’s Night. My sister and I drove to Dallas this weekend to attend a baby shower for my sweet cousin. My aunts and most of my girl cousins (we missed you, Kelsey!) were there to celebrate. We hung out the night before the shower in my parents’ living room drinking wine, eating my aunt’s delicious fettuccine alfredo (what my cousin was craving), and laughing at the aunts’ crazy coming-of-age-stories. My dad is a huge story-teller, so it was so nice to hear my mother tell some more stories about her youth for a change. We laughed until tears were streaming down our faces at times, and it felt so good to spend time with such a caring and fun group of people — even luckier to be able to call them my family.
6. Family Baby Shower. My mother, aunts, and cousin Aly are seriously the best party planners, and I need to remember this when it’s finally time for me to have one. 🙂 The decor my mom made for my cousin was adorable, and everyone pitched in to make some delicious brunch. We had a great time celebrating the soon-to-be mom, and spending time with one another. I’m so excited for my (multiple) cousins to have their babies around soon, and I can’t wait to see what great mothers they will make. There’s no doubt in my mind.
7. Misterwright. My twin sis has started getting some of her prototype dresses before she starts production on her new dress line, and I was excited I got to wear one this past Sunday and keep it! She’s such a talent. Pay no mind to my unphotogenicness (word?), and look instead at the cute chambray dress. Check her out at www.shopmisterwright.com.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!