Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Embracing the Unexpected. I’ve talked about this in a previous post, and it’s happened more times than I’ve expected in my lifetime that I’ve started to embrace this as truth, and it helps me to stay open-minded. Staying open-minded means thinking equal parts with my brain and my heart and truly seeing all sides sans judgement. This truth is that whenever I prepare myself for scenario A or scenario B to play out, it’s nearly always scenario C that I face. Embracing this has helped this “control freak” find some peace in a life full of unpredictabilities and to realize that sometimes when I remain open to this, amazing things can happen — things I couldn’t have even conjured with this overactive brain and heart of mine. Today, I feel blessed.
2. Mondays Aren’t So Bad. Monday was a tough day back to work after spring break, but things turned out better than I could have expected Monday evening. Thank goodness for turn-arounds and pick-me-ups, especially when they come at times least expected. I cannot possibly describe how much of a relief it was to have such a great evening that turned the bad into good. It just goes to show that if we keep moving forward, things always get better. I needed a strong hug and a good ear, and my boyfriend was there with both. I’ve learned to speak my mind and not be afraid to ask for things, which has been tough for me in the past, and thank goodness I can do that again because I know I deserve it. If expressed to the right people, they’ll appreciate me all the more for it, even if it’s not presented in a nice, shiny package. I’ve never felt closer to him than I did on this day, and I couldn’t wipe the stupid grin of relief and comfort off my face all night.
3. Clothing Swap. One of the perks of dating a good man is getting to know his friends that come along with the package. His best friend’s wife invited me to a clothing swap and cocktail night this past Wednesday. It was a perfect opportunity for me to get rid of the three bags of clothes I’ve had sitting in the trunk of my car for about four months that I’ve meant to drop off at the Goodwill. Oops! I didn’t think I was going to come away with so many great pieces, but I did. Not only did I get to spend time with a great group of girls, but shopping for free is gal’s wet dream. Ha! Afterwards, I went to dinner with my sweet new friend, and I feel so grateful for this budding friendship. Even though she is younger than me, she is full of strength, wisdom, and has enough integrity to speak bluntly though not without a heart of gold.
4. Good Friday. Having Friday off, the week after going back to work from spring break, is a nice bonus and helped ease me back into the swing of things. I woke up feeling refreshed, went on a nice long run in my neighborhood, did some much-needed laundry, cleaned my apartment, and got some work done for my side-fitness/health coaching business I have too-long neglected. It felt good to make the most of it and to be so productive on my day off, so that I didn’t feel like I had lost an entire extra day on my three-day weekend.
5. Friday Night Vibes. Friday night, I met my boyfriend for a delicious dinner downtown (how’s that for alliteration!?). We were both craving a nice fire after dinner, so we brought up a glass of whiskey, and sat for a bit at his condo’s rooftop fireplace. We played some pool in the clubhouse and enjoyed a much-needed quiet evening together.
6. Dog-Sitting. My sister and her husband went on a day-trip Saturday, so they asked me to watch my favorite “nephew” while they were away. I spent the day playing with their cute beagle, walking in the beautiful weather to get my favorite breakfast tacos in their neighborhood, and writing at their cute Eastside home. Sometimes, it’s the little things.
7. Sunday Funday. Alas, we meet again. My boyfriend and I dined on a beautiful rooftop patio, and all was right with my Sunday.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!