Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Student Swap. Last week was the last full week before the big, high-stakes state writing test for my 7th grade Language Arts students. The teachers on my team and I decided to switch things up a bit and hold a writing “boot camp” to really hone in on the skills being tested with an emphasis on the areas of that needed most improvement. We ranked our students based on a recent assessment and placed them into tiered groups, so my students were a mix of the other two Language Arts teachers’ classes last week. I love my students, but it was so much fun getting a different group. The other teachers and I felt brilliant about it by the end of the week, when both the students and we were eager to get out for Spring Break, as we felt less antsy with the mixing up of students.
2. Cookies & Mi…Wine. My roommate and I enjoyed more downtime together this week with a bottle of wine and then… an entire sleeve of thin-mints. Whoops. We also got “lame” on our Friday night and had a Rumba watch-a-thon after our weekly happy hour. For whatever reason, we watched our new Rumba trip over rugs and awkwardly navigate our apartment and we got the biggest kick out of it. Why are we so cool, you ask? I wish I could tell you our secret.
3. Terrible Thursdays. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve fell into a pattern recently of having really stressful Thursdays — perhaps it’s because it’s the day before the weekend and the idea of one more day is sometimes excruciating? Who knows, but all I can say is thank goodness I have a bf who is quick to pick up the pieces when I’m feeling less than myself. He was quick to take me out to a nice dinner at Italic in downtown Austin. We enjoyed fancy cocktails and really good Italian food, and I was instantly back to my old self.
4. Spring Break HH. I love my weekly HH with my coworkers, but it’s hard to beat the one on our last day and introduction to spring break. With perfect weather and good company, it doesn’t get much better than that.
5. Meet the Parents. My parents invited my bf and I to a bbq at their lake house on Saturday, so my bf met them for the first time along with my aunt, uncle, and brother. He had already passed the twin and brother-in-law test (as well as my cousin and his sweet wife), so I was excited, albeit a bit nervous, for him to meet the rest of my family. I wasn’t at all nervous about how he would be perceived, but it gets a little scarier as I get older, as I don’t want to place anyone in front of my family who isn’t serious. However, he made it clear he knew how important it was and how happy he was to do it, so I was elated about the experience. Never have I ever introduced someone who was more comfortable and at ease than him. Without hesitation, he got right in there and was a true gem all night. He spent time with everyone individually and got to know people on his own. I loved seeing him chat it up with my father outside with a bonfire and a glass of whiskey in tow. It turned out to be the perfect night, as the weather was gorgeous, I’d never seen that many stars so visible, and the company was so great. I had so much fun with my entire family, and couldn’t have asked for a better time.
6. SXSW. My bf, a few of his friends, and I went to a local sausage house and brewery, only to be surprised that we planted ourselves in the middle of a SXSW event (if you don’t live in Austin, it’s a film/interactive/music festival that takes over almost the entire town). We saw a few celebrities there, as they were being interviewed for upcoming movies. We saw Anna Kendrick, Kirsten Dunst (my personal fave), and Gillian Jacobs who was in one of my recent favorite new Netflix series, Judd Apatow’s Love.
7. Sunday Birthday Funday. Admittedly, I had a little too much fun this Sunday Funday with my bf and his friends celebrating one of their birthdays, and probably didn’t respond to something how I normally would have if I had been… well not having too much “fun.” On the flip-side of things, I got to see just how wonderful his friends are and how much they have my back even when I’m not at my best. I’m so happy they care about me because as I’ve come to learn getting to know them as I’ve been dating my bf, I sure care about them too. They are not just a fun group, but a nurturing one, too. I felt pretty darn grateful.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!