Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Tuesday Tacos. My work team and I regularly take turns cooking lunch for each other, and Wednesday was my turn. Per the request of my friend, celebrating her birthday last week, I prepared beef tacos and crock-pot queso. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and invited my bf over to enjoy some of it for dinner the night before I brought it to work. So bueno.
2. Learning Together. From the outside it may look like one big cheesy love fest, but the annual Learning Together Conference my school district started last year reminds me of how lucky I am to work for such a great school district. This past Thursday and Friday, my coworkers and I attended self-chosen workshops and brainstormed ideas to become better teachers. I totally dorked it out after learning about how to use podcasts to get students excited about writing. Not only were the workshops about teaching, but there were also workshops for other aspects of our lives like financial planning and healthy eating — well-rounded and healthy (physically and mentally) people are more productive and better at what they do. I’m proud to work for a district that recognizes that, and I’m pumped to go back to work and continue to grow as an educator.
3. Team Lunch. The weather in Austin has been amazing, and it was so nice to enjoy a long lunch with all of my coworkers outside on a patio Thursday and Friday instead of quickly stuffing our faces in a teacher’s lounge.
4. Friday HH. We worked hard all week and felt like we deserved some more patio time Friday evening. The view was amazing at a local hilltop wine bar and restaurant, and of course, the company was pretty great, too.
5. Easy Tiger. My roommate invited me to join her downtown at a cute little German bakery and brewery to enjoy some more patio time on Saturday — ha! Are you sensing a theme for this week? I mean, it’s sunny in February — hard to not take advantage of that!
6. Be My Valentine. My bf joined me at Easy Tiger, and then we left to join some of his friends on another (you guessed it) patio. We had a nice dinner, just the two of us, and then we joined his friends again later that night. Thoughtfully, he gave me Otis Redding’s Soul Album for a Valentine’s Day present. Not only is Cigarettes and Coffee one of my all-time favorite songs, but it also reminds me of him, as we — more often than not — end up staying up way too late talking and drinking (not coffee but whiskey, and no thank you to the cigarettes) — kindred spirits, for sure.
7. Sunday Funday. Sometimes the best days are completely improvised. My bf and I had planned to cook dinner on Valentine’s Day, get a good bottle of wine, and stay in. However, we had a late start to the day, and because we skipped breakfast and lunch, we were starving and grabbed a late lunch at Clarks, a sharp little oyster bar downtown. We started with oysters and then grubbed on some amazing burgers. After a short meet-up with some of his friends who were in town for the weekend, we went on a long walk, made a pit-stop at a record store, and grabbed some delicious gelato and paired liquor. We capped off the night at a wine bar, snacked on a cheese board, and then made the trek back in the beautiful weather. It was my favorite Valentine’s Day to date because it wasn’t overly-planned, stuffy, or cheesy. We just enjoyed the day and each other, and went wherever our moods took us. Save the chocolate hearts and bouquets and just give me time with someone who makes me smile.
No matter if you are coupled up or not, I hope your Valentine’s Day was filled with love!
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!