Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
1. Wine & Dine. As a thirty-four-year-young (ha!) single woman, I’ve been on A LOT of dates in my lifetime, but it’s been a good while since someone picked a place, made reservations, picked a bottle of wine, and treated me to a nice dinner. I’m not one who demands to be wined and dined at fancy restaurants (I’m often more comfortable in a ‘hole-in-a-wall’), but I didn’t realize how good it would feel when someone put forth all that effort; it made me feel like someone special.
2. I Am Deserving. I had an epiphany the other day — one that I didn’t even know I needed to have. When holding casual conversations with close family and friends about love and relationships, it’s always been easy for me to say that I know I am deserving of a man who treats me well and goes out of his way to make my life better, support me, and cherish me. I’ve never been willing to settle for anything less than, as I feel I do a pretty good job of returning the favor for someone I care about. However, it didn’t dawn on me that I may know that, but I don’t always FEEL that. I am not currently in a relationship, but I am casually dating, despite my desire to steer clear from romance for a while. However, I also know that as long as I don’t feel like I’m trying to seek it out, and I’m still focusing on myself, I am comfortable with any outcome. My approach is so different these days. I’m not sure if it’s “working,” but it feels good — it feels right. Recently, I was pleasantly surprised by someone’s reaction after unexpectedly having to reveal something that is typically not something I talk about with someone I barely know (that was a lot of adverbs — oops, sorry). I’m being vague here, but I have to mention this as a highlight of this week, because his reaction was one that made me feel pure comfort. He didn’t question or judge. Instead, he gave out pure affection and empathy, and even though this should have been an awkward situation, it felt far from that. I hadn’t felt that accepted and warmed in a long time. I am deserving of that, and I should feel that with all the people I keep close in my life.
3. Sip & See. A coworker of mine recently had a baby, and our team leader threw a “sip and see” at her house so that we could meet his baby and share in his merriment. We enjoyed a hot cocoa bar that was divine, and of course it was so fun to see him as a new dad, and to see his sweet baby and his glowing wife.
4. The Night Before. I’m not going to lie; this movie was so stupid, but it was fun to laugh at something instead of having to think at the end of a long work week. With a couple of fun surprises and a sweet message in the end, it made for a good lighthearted comedy.
5. Leon Bridges. Time when aimlessly Twittering pays off = eyeing a tweet from Leon Bridges about a pre sale for a concert of his in May. Knowing how hot he is right now and how quickly his concerts sell out, I quickly bought two tickets without a bat of an eyelash. A good friend of mine is equally as obsessed with him as I am, so I was excited to surprise her with a ticket for Christmas. Of course, I hear from her the next morning asking me to go to the concert but bummed because the show was sold out, so I was excited to surprise her with the ticket. I’m so stoked about experiencing this show with one of my besties!
6. Roomie Birthday. My roomie, and few of her close friends, and I went out for dinner Saturday night for her birthday. We enjoyed Spanish tapas and sangria, and then we went to a couple of local bars downtown. It was absolutely nuts downtown with all the holiday parties going on, but sometimes it’s fun to be in the thick of it all. If you can’t beat them, join them, right? We enjoyed too many cocktails, too many group selfies, and just enough laughs.
7. Serial 2. It’s sad how excited I am about this podcast. I was hooked on the first one, just like everyone else and their mother, so of course I’m anxiously awaiting a new episode on Thursday. Anyone out there reading this as obsessed with Serial as I am? I became a Google maniac because of the first one and have read countless articles and discussion threads because of it. I follow Rabia on Twitter and bring up Adnon like he is a household name. I’m ridic.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!