Let’s face it // Mondays stink. Or at least we typically expect them to stink. That is why, every Monday, I post seven positives from the previous seven days of the week as a reminder of what I have so that the week starts out on an upswing. There is much truth in the belief that happy people attract good things, so it is important to start the week out right. Sometimes it’s the more grand, but other times, it’s the simple things.
2. NXNW. I met a friend of mine for dinner mid-week, and we checked out a new location of a popular restaurant and brewery in Austin. A sweet, old blues band was playing, the night air was perfect, the food was delicious, and the company was enjoyed.
3. Project Girl. Last year, I ran a club at my school called Project Girl. I was missing them this year, as I started another club in lieu of that to teach students the art of Poetry Slam. Despite loving poetry, and teaching kids how to love poetry, I’ve really missed the opportunity to work with girls, helping them to build self-esteem and positive relationships with one another. So when I was given the opportunity to attend an assembly with my girls this week (I LOVE my team and so thankful they took my boys!), I gladly accepted. At the end of the assembly, the girls were in tears and hugging each other, and I got all the right feels! I can’t wait to start my club back up again next year full of new ideas and opportunities for them.
4. Bone Tomahawk. I love spontaneous nights that begin without plans but end in an unexpected good time, and Thursday was one of those. I hadn’t even heard of this movie, but it was great — nothing profound, but a good old-fashioned story telling western mixed with flesh-eating Indians. Ha!
5. Puppy Love. Again, the universe conspired to give me a group hug just when I needed it. On the 30th, Facebook sent me a “Today in the Past” picture of my sweet Buddy. If you’ve read my posts in the past, then you know I once had a dog that now lives with an ex-boyfriend in another state. While of course I am happy that he is with someone who loves and takes great care of him, I miss that little stinker so much, it hurts my sensitive heart. But it’s almost as if the universe was listening to my sadness, as I got to help dog-sit a sweet pup this weekend, and Sunday night, I played with a different sweet-as-can-be pup. Dogs are such great therapy for the broken hearted. Makes me want to get another one!!!!
6. Halloween Dinner. A few friends and I checked out Little Barrel and Brown on South Congress for a little Halloween dinner on a perfect night for people watching. We met up with some other people just down the street at Hotel San Jose and found ourselves in the middle of an elaborate costume party. Since we had not planned on going out that night, we were the odd men out without costumes, we spent the remainder of the night hanging out at a friend’s house… getting “drunk” on leftover Halloween candy. Yep, I felt the sugary hangover Sunday morning. I’ve been a great Beachbody coach this week… Oops.
7. Sunday Funday-Sing-Along. After sleeping in, I quite literally (almost literally), rolled out of bed and went to lunch with some friends. Even though it felt like half of the day was wasted, it was redeeming to look up at the clock several times in the evening expecting a later time and getting to repeatedly sigh in relief that I had another hour to spare. Topping off the night, my roommate and I had a blast listening to each of the songs on BuzzFeed’s The Ultimate Playlist To Get You Through The Stages Of A Breakup, belting out all of the power-lyrics and laughing at the music videos. Healing is best done while laughing at Toni Braxton playing Twister with her long-lost lover in Unbreak My Heart. So bad, it’s so good (stuff like that comes full circle). Please, do yourself a favor, and going through a break up or not — listen to these nostalgic songs again. Good stuff.
I hope to inspire you to reflect on all you have to be grateful & that your week brings you even more positivity + balance + bliss! Feel free to share your seven with me as well / or even just a couple!
Have a wonderful week!