Just as I aimed to ease the Monday blues with my 7 for seven, I aim once again. Though this time, I need a good laugh — at my expense, because if I don’t do that every once in a while, I risk taking myself too seriously.
Upon announcing to my roommate one morning before work, “I had to talk myself into washing my hair this morning in the shower to avoid it looking greasy, but now I can’t talk myself into drying it, so now it just looks greasy anyway!”, her dead-pan response to me was, “The struggle is real.” That seems to be her go-to response to me quite often, and it’s since become my inner-mantra whenever I need to just stop, step outside of myself, and laugh at myself and my “problems.”
Last week’s “struggles”:
10. “The way you described the mess on your windshield — ‘strawberry explosions’ is so funny to me, and I don’t know why. I’m literally crying. Strawberry explosions! I’m dying!”
9. “We just had brunch, went shopping, and then grabbed Starbucks. Total #WhiteGirlSunday” – my roommate
8. “Their brunch kept calling out to me over Facebook advertisements, saying, ‘Lauren, you know you can’t resist me. I had to, but now I know. Nothing about this is good, but I had to find out. Now we know.”
7. “Can we get a brunch-over?” – my roommate
6. “I found an empty bottle of vodka on my walk today and my first thought was, ‘It’s 100 degrees — I could be crazier than that person on the sidewalk.'”
5. “I never thought I’d ever see the day I was excited about the scrunchy coming back. I feel shame. Painful, elastic, scrunched up shame.”
4. “I’m complaining about not having enough hours in a day, and I haven’t had to go to work in two months. I need help.”
3. “Ugh, my nails.”
2. “No, don’t do it. Never wear Spanx to avoid getting into bed with someone because if you can’t resist, not only did you break your rule, but you were also wearing Spanx.”
1. “Aaaah, a song is stuck in my head, and I don’t know the words!”
Happy Monday! I hope you have a great week. Share your laughs with me!