Just as I aimed to ease the Monday blues with my 7 for seven, I aim once again. Though this time, I need a good laugh — at my expense, because if I don’t do that every once in a while, I risk taking myself too seriously.
Upon announcing to my roommate one morning before work, “I had to talk myself into washing my hair this morning in the shower to avoid it looking greasy, but now I can’t talk myself into drying it, so now it just looks greasy anyway!”, her dead-pan response to me was, “The struggle is real.” That seems to be her go-to response to me quite often, and it’s since become my inner-mantra whenever I need to just stop, step outside of myself, and laugh at myself and my “problems.”
Last week’s “struggles”:
10. “I got it with my oven mitt!” (Attempting to move a grasshopper out of the apartment with my roommate)
9. “I was having one of those ‘woe, is me’ days where I felt invisible to everyone I’ve recently encountered, and then I literally got hit by a car pulling out of a parking spot (I was walking)! No joke. But then I realized I’m not invisible because I totally felt it. The only people I’m truly invisible to are the people who are scared to look too long at their own reflection in a rearview mirror. Now, that’s deep. Move over Deepak Chopra.”
8. “The old anxiety-ridden me would have reached for a glass of wine, but the new me went on a three hour walk in the wrong shoes. My hangover is a bruised heel and half a dozen blisters. Good thing the ol’ remedies still come in handy: anti-inflammatory and ice.”
7. “I came in right before the ceremony started so I had to sit by myself. It totally wasn’t awkward that I had to sit by myself. And I totally did not cry when he handed her his hanky. And I did not accidentally release an audible sigh when he read her his personal vow. NONE OF THAT HAPPENED.”
6. “Why are we sitting when Michael Jackson is playing?”
5. “I’m a terrible follower even when slow dancing, and I’m schweaty.”
4. “I just pulled something out of my hair and it bit me.”
3. “Ugh, my nails.”
2. “Unavailable is challenging, but no longer attractive to me. Challenge is good, but not that kind. People who go after what they want in life and who are not afraid to truly connect and position themselves to be vulnerable, now that’s hot. Hot with two T’s because one just isn’t enough. I was talking about the T’s, don’t worry. Ha! Lauren has gone rogue!”
1. “It’s been a while since I’ve been sore from a workout, but waking up after a night of dancing in high heels at a wedding reception has made me aware of every muscle and joint in my body.”
Happy Monday! I hope you have a great week. Share your laughs with me!